9/3/07

My First Job





My first job was at a Chicken Restaurant called Chicken Coop, when I was fourteen years old. Everyone in my high school worked there so it was like going to school again after school everyday, and boy did we have a blast. I was fired and rehired on many occasions, and for various reason’s the worst of which I ‘m writing about today, in honor of Labor day. Let me start out by saying I was distracted by one of the managers, Mark, who was the good looking one with sandy colored hair and hazel eyes.

We had another manager who was Mark’s exact opposite: Harold. Harold was the owner’s son who hated me, for a few reasons, such as- moving my mouth while a friend spoke underneath the counter at the cash register. For example, my mouth moved at the register to her voice under the counter when taking customers orders.

I suppose that was poor form, but Harold had it out for me anyway - from day one.



He had the weirdest looking face, one I’ll never forget, his eyes were straight across from each other, perfectly aligned with one long eyebrow across the top of his forehead. He had a small, Charlie Chaplin-like mouth and he walked like Chaplin too, with a wobble. Oh, Harold hated me and especially after this incident… although more were to follow….

Each of us had a job or position in the bagging and frying area, and we followed a procedure for getting orders out quickly. This is how is worked: one person worked as the "fryer", who fried the chicken and put it in a pan, to be picked by the "fry picker" who picked up the chicken ordered with thongs, put it in a cardboard dish, and slid it along a table to the "bagger", the bagger put the cardboard dinner box in a bag, stapled it shut, and brought the finished order stapled securely in the bag to the customer waiting at the counter.

Normally, I worked as the fry picker, but this particular day the fryer (the one who fried the chicken) and I got in an argument. He was angry because I kept picking the freshest chicken first, instead of the other way around. Harold had to break up the fight right in front of the customers, (because they were right in front of us), and the fryer was a crazy man, screaming bloody murder.

Of course, Harold blamed me for the fryer actions who continued his complaining in front of the customers, but he needed me up front, so he just put me to work stapling the bags after he put the cardboard boxes inside.

Then Harold and I argued while it worked; the fry picker picked the chicken, put it in the cardboard dinner box, and slide it to Harold, Harold would put the box in the bag, and passed it to me, who stapled the bags and brought them to the customer at the counter.

We did this behind the counter in front of the customers, so they could see their chicken being picked, put in the bags, then be on their way quickly out the door.

The service idea was set up so that the customer to get their order quickly, so the quicker we moved the better. But remember, Harold was furious with me, so he was screaming while we were trying to fill orders during the lunch hour, ...

“Ann, watch what you’re doing, I not kidding after today you are gone, gone, gone!”

Harold said, his face as red as a beet, and narrow eyes glaring at me hard.

Move it, move it, …. he yelled, his voice trailing off as I focused on stapling his tie to his shirt! He just keep on screaming until he was literally blue in the face, sliding the dinner bags toward me, where I would catch the bag from him, staple his tie to his shirt, then bring the order to the counter for the customers unstapled and say thanks for coming and have a nice day! .

Then the customers of course started laughing, and Harold looked down at his tie! He saw about thirty staples stapled to the front of his shirt, and realized what I was doing.

I’m so glad I had my brothers car that day , because Harold went to the back of the store for some reason, and he sure wasn’t happy. That is the first time I was fired from a job.

13 comments:

Julee Ann said...

Enjoyed this humorous life memory. I particularly am drawn to bloggers who can take ordinary life situations and turn them into an enjoyable read. I'll be back to yours. Nice to meet ya.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

julee ann, Wow! Thank you! I'm thrilled you enjoyed my post. Thank you for reading my post, and taking the time to leave such a nice comment. :)

Have a great evening!

Ann

Anonymous said...

Ann - my perception of you has now entirely changed! I had you down as the quiet girl who was a swot, studied after school and didn't like boys much. Now you tell us what you did to poor Harold...I'm off to lie in a darkened room so I can recover....;)

jeanie said...

Ha ha - poor Harold.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Traveller, LOL! I guess the truth is out! Harold was mean! lol! Not like boys much? I could only have been so lucky! Thanks for reading and the comment! I hope you recover! :)

Ann

mr fong said...

haha, julee is right. This is really funny, you just managed to turn it into something that made me roll on the floor.

Thank you!

Sandee said...

I got this one wrong. You were better off not having this job. Yikes, he's a terrible manager. :)

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for reading both stories Sandee. It really is true that the true is stranger than fiction.

I thought you might remember Harold, but I knew my new readers wouldn't...although I know that they too will say that the monkey story is the true one, because Harold was truly unbelievable. Later that year my father arrested him for pulling a gun on another employee.

I haven't a clue why my parents let me work there in the first place. When I asked my mother recently she said, "Don't you read your own words? I know Harold was bad, but you were a handful." (LOL)

Anyway, thanks again for reading them and for not giving away the answer on the other comments- clever- I hope everyone else is as smart as you. I didn't even think about that.

I was looking for your other comment, (duh) but it didn't occur to me what you were doing until I found you here.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed what I'm thinking of making a new feature. :))

Huge hug and love, Ann

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Oh Sandee, now I see that you never read this post before, that's why I got ya!

Love, Ann

Dawn Drover said...

yaaaay! I was right!
Wish I could have seen it... I would have been the one yelling "YOU GO GIRL!" LOL

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Dawn, I wanted to tell you sooo bad. I don't know how you know me so well, but you do. Either you know me well, or you're a lot like me, I don't know which. I gave a lot of hints like "Harold was so close to my face I could see the hairs in his multicolored mustache" or something like that.

He was so close to me screaming he didn't notice the staple gun, until...well...it was too late. (LOL)

Great job.

The truth is stranger than fiction and I'm out to prove it. I'm going to do this again, but make the stories shorter.

I hope it was fun. Thanks for coming back. I hope everything is going great for you~ :))

Hugs and love, Ann

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Ann!!!!

I made it in after a second attempt by clicking the stop load button.

Anyway, I will take this link with me back to hollydale. What's going on with Blogger??? I tried loading up other blogger pages and they all worked fine.

I have had a problem a few times with java and embed codes in my template. You might have something in your sidebar or footer that is causing the glitch. Hopefully it clears itself up!!!

Hugs from Speedy :-)

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Now I tryed again, and your blog loaded normally.

?????

Must have been something temporary!

Click to subscribe!

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books
Click on the titles below for the link to Publishers Weekly.com

The Boogeyman From Planet-Lackawanna-

You will lose yourself in the imaginative dreams of eleven year old Theodore Wilson's. Don't miss this review coming soon.

More reviews and available for purchase on Amazon .com. Just click on image of book and the link will take you there.

Thank you!

Upcoming Book Review

Upcoming Book Review
Gretchen Zufall (Author) Mike Paar (Illustrator)

Motherhood- Courage


Motherhood is an art impossible to explain, one which requires a vast sea of love, devotion, compassion, and understanding, unmatched by any affection we will ever know again.- Ann Clemmons

Courage-

Courage



Humor-

Humor


Words-

Words are the core of our souls, without written, vocal or lyrical expression we lose sight of one another or worse, ourselves. Words bring forth the essence of the human spirit; so express yourself without abandon.

Ann Clemmons

Favorite Phrase

I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...

Beatrix Potter’s Journal, 17 November 1896, from the National Trust collection.

Jacket Flap-

Powered by JacketFlap.com
The Storyteller, by Dawn Drover

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~

Of The Horoscope Junkie




Let"s talk!

Let"s talk!

Subscribe Today

Subscribe Today
Feed Powered by Feedburner

Catch your dreams

Catch your dreams

Imagine

Imagine
Most of the worlds' great things were born of adversity and hardship; because these roadblocks encourage us to dream, imagine and believe.- Ann Clemmons

Favorite quotes-

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”'


F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Lines from The Great Gatsby)
"A Southerner Talks Music"

Mark Twain

"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us."

Franz Kafka

An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.

- Mark Twain in Eruption

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself"

Mark Twain

Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site

Friendship