10/3/08

I'm Not Cute



The picture of Baby Owl on the cover of the picture book, I'm Not Cute, caught my eye at Barnes and Noble the other day. Baby Owl is so cute that I immediately grabbed the book off the shelf in the Children's Department and sat in my chair at the little table. The same little table where I always sit to catch up on the Children's Picture Book Market. I pick the first picture book that captures my eye and if the story keeps my interest, I review it for my readers.

However, since I'm a humorist writer in addition to writing for children, I haven't written a children's book review on A Nice Place In The Sun for some time. It's hard for a children's writer/humorist to categorize a blog, but I'm hoping my readers who stop to read a humorous story will bear with an occasional book review.

I know children's picture book reviews may be a little elementary, but hopefully you can share the books I review with a child you know or treat the child within you to some marvelous stories.

I usually do not include this much introduction to a book review, but since I haven't written one in awhile, I didn't want some of you to wonder what in the world I was doing...even if half of the time I'm not sure myself...

Alright, now that I've explained myself, I can tell you about this great picture book, I'm Not Cute, by Jonathan Allen.

From the onset of this story the reader discovers that Baby Owl doesn't like being treated like a baby or told he is cute. Adults and children will be drawn into Baby Owls dilemma early on, by Jonathan Allen's masterful use of the simple words used in early childhood in addition to his bright and humorous illustrations.



Baby Owl wishes to be a "huge and scary hunting machine with great big soft and silent wings" however all the animals in the forest insist on telling him how cute and cuddly he is all the time. Baby Owl's frustration is evident by his reaction to the animals in the forest, which we see by the expressions on his face, as well as the body language depicted in the illustrations. For instance, Baby Owl squirms, fidgets, and squishes his face into toddler like expressions with each encounter.

For example, when "Squirrel" compliments him on his "big baby eyes" and the "Fox" pats him on the head. Toward the end of the story, Baby Owl begins to orbit into a tantrum, when the other animals affections prove too much for comfort. Even though Baby Owl denounces the animals claims about how cute he is, with the line, "I'm Not Cute!" the animals never change their mind. Baby Owl's resistance to the notion that he is a cute little baby is so toddler like it's hilarious.

However, when Baby Owl returns home to tell his Mom how the other animals acted and she validates his feelings, he decides that maybe it wasn't so bad being cute after all. Baby Owl isn't comfortable with Mom's agreement, so he shouts to his mother, "But I am cute!... I am! I am!"

Then when Baby Owls fussiness begins to escalate Mom knows that it's time for bed, and the story ends with Mom putting Baby Owl to bed, and whispering, "You're so cute, Baby Owl.... For a huge, scary, sleek, sharp-eyed hunting machine, that is."

The conclusion wraps the story up nicely, and will send adults as well as children off sleepy and satisfied.


I'm Not Cute is available on Amazon as well as Barnes and Noble.

It's 32 pages, and published by Hyperion, $14.99

Ages; 2 to 5

6 comments:

Dawn Drover said...

What a cute story! I know how baby owl feels... I hated being called cute :)
Now I kinda wish someone would!!!!

I will email soon... I have a bit of catching up to do!
Luvs ya!

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Sounds like a great read for a certain someone I know ... I'll check it out.

I did not have a song in my head until I arrived here. It is now "Sugar Sugar" ... ina mya Coffee :-)

SpeedyCat, the huge, scary, sleek, sharp-eyed hunting machine
Ha haa!! yep, that's me

Anonymous said...

I think the story is adorable. I love Goodnight Moon...and Are you my Mother the best of all really small childrens books. When my oldest grandaughter was small I bought her the monster at the end of the book...as I was reading she kept saying...hurry Nana...we have to find out who the monster is!!! When her little sister was ready...she hid the book...no monsters for her LOL.

How I wish they were all small enough to enjoy being read to again.

Good job Annie...you cutie...

Anna Lefler said...

Great post! I think it's really nice to mix in the book reviews with the humor. They go hand in hand, in my opinion...

Have a great Sunday...

:^) Anna

Sandee said...

I love it Ann. Perhaps I need to read some kids books instead of what I'm ready. A feel good story would be a very nice change. Have a great day sweetie. Big hug and lotsa lovies. :)

70-621 said...

I love Goodnight Moon.

Click to subscribe!

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books
Click on the titles below for the link to Publishers Weekly.com

The Boogeyman From Planet-Lackawanna-

You will lose yourself in the imaginative dreams of eleven year old Theodore Wilson's. Don't miss this review coming soon.

More reviews and available for purchase on Amazon .com. Just click on image of book and the link will take you there.

Thank you!

Upcoming Book Review

Upcoming Book Review
Gretchen Zufall (Author) Mike Paar (Illustrator)

Motherhood- Courage


Motherhood is an art impossible to explain, one which requires a vast sea of love, devotion, compassion, and understanding, unmatched by any affection we will ever know again.- Ann Clemmons

Courage-

Courage



Humor-

Humor


Words-

Words are the core of our souls, without written, vocal or lyrical expression we lose sight of one another or worse, ourselves. Words bring forth the essence of the human spirit; so express yourself without abandon.

Ann Clemmons

Favorite Phrase

I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...

Beatrix Potter’s Journal, 17 November 1896, from the National Trust collection.

Jacket Flap-

Powered by JacketFlap.com
The Storyteller, by Dawn Drover

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~

Of The Horoscope Junkie




Let"s talk!

Let"s talk!

Subscribe Today

Subscribe Today
Feed Powered by Feedburner

Catch your dreams

Catch your dreams

Imagine

Imagine
Most of the worlds' great things were born of adversity and hardship; because these roadblocks encourage us to dream, imagine and believe.- Ann Clemmons

Favorite quotes-

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”'


F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Lines from The Great Gatsby)
"A Southerner Talks Music"

Mark Twain

"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us."

Franz Kafka

An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.

- Mark Twain in Eruption

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself"

Mark Twain

Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site

Friendship