5/20/08

What Poem Are You? : Tuesday's Question

Five comments of fantastic poetry posted! Just click "Read More"



What Poem Are You?

We all have a poem that speaks to us personally, whether we know it or not, because poets have the ability to tap into our feelings as if they’ve stepped inside our head and read our emotions and thoughts from a personally charted chalkboard.

Great poets have influenced our society for centuries, contributing rare insight into the human spirit.

Bob Dylan once said; “There would be no music without the words” and I will add, there would be no words without the poets, writers, songwriters and playwrights among us...

We all have a poem. Hence, this Tuesday’s Question asks, What Poem Are You? Or on the other hand, you could ask the question, What Poem Is Yours?

There are poets among us everywhere, not just the ones who are famous, but many are on the internet, and in books whose names are unknown, because some prefer to remain anonymous.

Although, I’m thrilled that one such poet didn’t choose to remain anonymous when she e-mailed me yesterday.











This poet is Dawn from Twisted Sister. Yesterday she decided to send me a poem written just for me.

And at the end of the e-mail before the poem she wrote, “It just popped into my head and so here it is…”

“It just popped into her head” is typical of poets and writers although this poem is so prolific it's remarkable how quickly she wrote it. I 'm overjoyed with my new treasure, and was moved to tears when I read it…an emotion in which all good poets are the master.

I will begin this Tuesday’s Question with the poem that is mine, thanks to my dear friend, magnificent poet, and fellow storyteller, Dawn.



The Storyteller

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~



Thanks again, Dawn, from my heart to yours~

Now, it is your turn, except before you write what I know will be marvelous comments, I have an announcement to make. From now on comments to Tuesday’s Question will copied and posted in real time within the same post instead of posting the comments the following day...

Lately, I’ve had some concern that Tuesday’s Question may appear to be duplicate content, in addition, I believe two posts drag the post out unnecessarily.

So today, when you post your comment I will copy and paste it along with a link to your blog shortly after you hit the send button. Then your comments will post among the daffodils. Which, by the way, are from an e-mail my mother sent me entitled, The Daffodil Principle

It is a wonderful e-mail, which I will try to forward upon request. Although you should know that, I’m awful at forwarding e-mails with attachments, so it could be a dangerous feat on your part.

That said, Again, What Poem Are You? Or What Poem Is Yours?




My first comment is from my dear dear friend Sandee at Comedy Plus who was also given poetry by a friend for her and her husband. Her friend is Lyn of Lynda's Loft who is evidently another prolific blogger poet as well.

What a great question and so simple for me to answer. For the last two years on hubbies and my wedding anniversary one of my blogging buddies has written us a poem. She is one of my daily reads and she writes the most beautiful love poems. Often I feel she is writing about me and my husband. Her name is Lyn of Lynda's Loft.

So, my answer is I'm a love poem. Since I love both poems I'm going to post both of them. The first one is called A Special Gift.

Happy Anniversary to the one I adore; it is a special day,
For once upon that time, you came my way...
We have come so far, since I first saw you,
Our love has become the kind of which only great dreamers knew...
I am glad that we finally came to be,
We are so perfect as one, you and me...
After all of this time, I still like you very much,
Even your bad habits and such...
You are the one who makes me smile,
Who makes my days worth while...
I enjoy our time spent, we have a lot of fun,
We share like minds from which comfort is spun...
So, on this day, all those yet to come,
I want you know that there could be no other one...
Happy Anniversary, my life, my love,
May we remain this close until we are taken above...
I love you with a heart which is filled by you,
You are the best of everything that I ever knew...


The second is called I Cherish and Savor Every Second We Share...

Your presence in my life is worth more than anything,
It is priceless. It is the elation of my soul.
I never realized what true love could bring,
Until you came and made me whole...

It is more than what you do, the way you do, what you do,
It is more than words could ever convey,
It is like perfection from the Heavens above came shining through,
To enlighten and brighten my every day...

There is nothing else more important to me,
You are the matter of life, the emancipation of my being,
You are the substance of all good, and all beauty,
As if you are all I am hearing, sensing, feeling, or seeing...

If I could express that which you have stirred deep within,
It would surely span into volumes of exclamation,
If I could show you that which you have touched, then,
I would have truly fulfilled loves acclamation...

So full of you am I, there is no other way to describe it,
You are the essentiality of my breath, you are my air,
Our love is as close to flawless as it might get,
Thus I cherish and savor every second we together share...


I love the poem Dawn wrote for you. She is one of my regular visits too. Have a great evening pal. Big hug and tons of lovies. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my good friend Ferdc from Crazy Medical Cases who evidently shares my love for Robert Frost. (I mentioned how poets were the masters of emotion~ And Robert Frost certainly was the master~ I'm glad computer keyboards are immune to tears. )

Thank you Ferdc or maybe I should call you Traveler?

Here begins Ferdc comment:

Nice question, Annie.

I was inspired by people I have respected in my life, to take my own road. A risk taker by nature, I have done that to some extent, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. So this poem, which I first read in high school, still rings true to me.

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference


Robert Frost

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My next comment is from my dear poet friend herself, Dawn from Twisted Sister who sent in a real sizzler...

Am I too late to add my favorite poem?? Thanks for shout out Ann :)
I've loved this poem since I was a teen...

I Want to Die While You Love Me

Georgia Douglas Johnson

I WANT to die while you love me,
While yet you hold me fair,
While laughter lies upon my lips
And lights are in my hair.

I want to die while you love me,
And bear to that still bed,
Your kisses turbulent, unspent
To warm me when I’m dead.

I want to die while you love me
Oh, who would care to live
Till love has nothing more to ask
And nothing more to give!

I want to die while you love me
And never, never see
The glory of this perfect day
Grow dim or cease to be.

May 20, 2008 6:22 PM



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a comment from another prolific poet on the internet Robert from Roberts Road


just thought I would add one of my own..

Life is long
sometimes a mountain
so intimidating and steep
that path you are on
seems rocky and long
so hold out your hand
Let love ones help
for there is the strength
To keep climbing as needed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next is another personal gift poem written for Paula at Six4Paula who I was thrilled stopped by and left a comment. She always leaves a great one.

Great question Ann. This poem (below) has long been a favorite of mine and it symbolizes for me many things. A friend, who I treasured had an artist make a custom painting with this poem on it. Sadly, the friend and I have parted ways but I will keep the painting as a reminder of how much I have gone through and how much I have grown. The poem symbolizes hope, imagination, beauty, loss and love.

~~~~

Polly's Tree by Sylvia Plath

A dream tree, Polly's tree:
a thicket of sticks,
each speckled twig

ending in a thin-paned
leaf unlike any
other on it

or in a ghost flower
flat as paper and
of a color

vaporish as frost-breath,
more finical than
any silk fan

the Chinese ladies use
to stir robin's egg
air. The silver-

haired seed of the milkweed
comes to roost there, frail
as the halo

rayed round a candle flame,
a will-o'-the-wisp
nimbus, or puff

of cloud-stuff, tipping her
queer candelabrum.
Palely lit by

snuff-ruffed dandelions,
white daisy wheels and
a tiger faced

pansy, it glows. O it's
no family tree,
Polly's tree, nor

a tree of heaven, though
it marry quartz-flake,
feather and rose.

It sprang from her pillow
whole as a cobweb
ribbed like a hand,

a dream tree. Polly's tree
wears a valentine
arc of tear-pearled

bleeding hearts on its sleeve
and, crowning it, one
blue larkspur star.

May 21, 2008 10:12 AM

(See what I mean?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maurica at Maurica Wishing On A Falling Star stopped to say hello~ Maurica didn't leave a poem this time, but I wanted to add her link and comment because she has a nice blog and I thought you might like to visit.

Hi Ann! Just dropping off my EC here, hope you're having a great day! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is June 23th however, I just received a comment responding to this Tuesday's Question, therefore I'm going to post it.

It's an excellent and funny response from Gary R. Hess at Poem Of Quotes Blog


I'm not exactly sure what poem I am, but it is probably a really boring one written by a drunken teenager.

My favorite poet is definitely Poe, which is a pretty common answer I'm sure. But really, he is. I love how simplistic they are, but also have so much meaning.
June 23, 2008 8:46 PM

Thank you Gary, and I hope you come back and answer some more Tuesday's Questions although I know poetry is your specialty. Cheers~


15 comments:

Ferd said...

Nice question, Annie.

I was inspired by people I have respected in my life, to take my own road. A risk taker by nature, I have done that to some extent, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. So this poem, which I first read in high school, still rings true to me.

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference


Robert Frost

Dawn Drover said...

Am I too late to add my favorite poem?? Thanks for shout out Ann :)
I've loved this poem since I was a teen...

I Want to Die While You Love Me

Georgia Douglas Johnson

I WANT to die while you love me,
While yet you hold me fair,
While laughter lies upon my lips
And lights are in my hair.

I want to die while you love me,
And bear to that still bed,
Your kisses turbulent, unspent
To warm me when I’m dead.

I want to die while you love me
Oh, who would care to live
Till love has nothing more to ask
And nothing more to give!

I want to die while you love me
And never, never see
The glory of this perfect day
Grow dim or cease to be.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Dawn, That is glorious~ It sizzles~ I love it too, and I know this post is long, so you probably didn't get to the part where I wrote that I've decided to make Tuesday's Question one post. So no, you're not too late, and you're most welcome for the shout out.

You are a prolific poet Dawn and I really do treasure my poem.

And thanks for this terrific passionate ride of a poem here. I will post it promptly. My only hope is that people will read all of this- Now that you've stopped by I may try and shorten it so that people can read all of these great poems the three of you have sent in~

ferdc and Sandee I hope you are both reading this because both of your contributions are fabulous and posted.

Hugs Dawn~

Sandee said...

I love Robert Frost and Road Less Traveled is awesome. Another favorite of mine. Excellent choice.

I see Dawn likes the hot poems too. Excellent choice. What a fun question Ann. Such fun. See you tomorrow pal. Big hug. :)

Anonymous said...

jsut thought I would add one of my own..

Life is long
sometimes a mountain
so intimidating and steep
that path you are on
seems rocky and long
so hold out your hand
Let love ones help
for there is the strength
To keep climbing as needed

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Sandee, Yes, you and Dawn have it going on with the sizzler's. And Lyn is good. I have read some stuff she wrote for you and your husband on your blog before and enjoyed it.

It makes you feel good when somebody writes a poem for you, doesn't it. It's such a special gift.

And I'm not surprised you're a Robert Frost fan as well. The Road less traveled does seem to be written for " A risk taker" like Ferdc said. Or an independent spirit- a characteristic I bet all four of us share.

Thank you for being so supportive today and always.

Huge hug~

Ann

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Robert, I love it~ It's going up now~ :))

Cheers~ Ann

Mariuca said...

Hi Ann! Just dropping off my EC here, hope u're having a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

Great question Ann. This poem (below) has long been a favorite of mine and it symbolizes for me many things. A friend, who I treasured had an artist make a custom painting with this poem on it. Sadly, the friend and I have parted ways but I will keep the painting as a reminder of how much I have gone through and how much I have grown. The poem symbolizes hope, imagination, beauty, loss and love.

~~~~

Polly's Tree by Sylvia Plath

A dream tree, Polly's tree:
a thicket of sticks,
each speckled twig

ending in a thin-paned
leaf unlike any
other on it

or in a ghost flower
flat as paper and
of a color

vaporish as frost-breath,
more finical than
any silk fan

the Chinese ladies use
to stir robin's egg
air. The silver-

haired seed of the milkweed
comes to roost there, frail
as the halo

rayed round a candle flame,
a will-o'-the-wisp
nimbus, or puff

of cloud-stuff, tipping her
queer candelabrum.
Palely lit by

snuff-ruffed dandelions,
white daisy wheels and
a tiger faced

pansy, it glows. O it's
no family tree,
Polly's tree, nor

a tree of heaven, though
it marry quartz-flake,
feather and rose.

It sprang from her pillow
whole as a cobweb
ribbed like a hand,

a dream tree. Polly's tree
wears a valentine
arc of tear-pearled

bleeding hearts on its sleeve
and, crowning it, one
blue larkspur star.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I sent you an email so watch for it! :-)

Dawn Drover said...

There are some lovely poems here Ann!
Although I am quite partial to Robert Frost :)

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Dawn, I know what you mean about Robert Frost. I had a crush on the poet after he passed away..(LOL) (I think I was three when he died)

I was also in love with Emerson and Thoreau, Dylan Thomas, oh I could go on...

I love my poem, Dawn and I believe this has been one of my favorite questions inspired by you.

Huge hug~ Ann

Mariuca said...

Thanks so much for the mention Ann! I didn't leave a poem but I did enjoy all the ones here, so thank YOU! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not exactly sure what poem I am, but it is probably a really boring one written by a drunken teenager.

My favorite poet is definitely Poe, which is a pretty common answer I'm sure. But really, he is. I love how simplistic they are, but also have so much meaning.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Yes Gary, Poe had a way of making you forget the world around you, didn't he? I say that like I lived in his day. (smile)

While reading his poetry, you lose yourself, so much so, you could jump as high as the ceiling at the sound of a pin drop. Because he takes you so far away from yourself and your surroundings~ there is only you and his words-

And thank you for this hilarious phrase; "I'm not exactly sure what poem I am, but it is probably a really boring one written by a drunken teenager."

Thank you for your comment. I will post it in with the others~

Cheers~ Ann

Click to subscribe!

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books
Click on the titles below for the link to Publishers Weekly.com

The Boogeyman From Planet-Lackawanna-

You will lose yourself in the imaginative dreams of eleven year old Theodore Wilson's. Don't miss this review coming soon.

More reviews and available for purchase on Amazon .com. Just click on image of book and the link will take you there.

Thank you!

Upcoming Book Review

Upcoming Book Review
Gretchen Zufall (Author) Mike Paar (Illustrator)

Motherhood- Courage


Motherhood is an art impossible to explain, one which requires a vast sea of love, devotion, compassion, and understanding, unmatched by any affection we will ever know again.- Ann Clemmons

Courage-

Courage



Humor-

Humor


Words-

Words are the core of our souls, without written, vocal or lyrical expression we lose sight of one another or worse, ourselves. Words bring forth the essence of the human spirit; so express yourself without abandon.

Ann Clemmons

Favorite Phrase

I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...

Beatrix Potter’s Journal, 17 November 1896, from the National Trust collection.

Jacket Flap-

Powered by JacketFlap.com
The Storyteller, by Dawn Drover

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~

Of The Horoscope Junkie




Let"s talk!

Let"s talk!

Subscribe Today

Subscribe Today
Feed Powered by Feedburner

Catch your dreams

Catch your dreams

Imagine

Imagine
Most of the worlds' great things were born of adversity and hardship; because these roadblocks encourage us to dream, imagine and believe.- Ann Clemmons

Favorite quotes-

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”'


F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Lines from The Great Gatsby)
"A Southerner Talks Music"

Mark Twain

"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us."

Franz Kafka

An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.

- Mark Twain in Eruption

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself"

Mark Twain

Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site

Friendship