1/22/09

Don't You Love Lasagna?





I’ve never been much of a cook, and shortly after my divorce, I had a fight with every cooking utensil and ingredient in my kitchen while trying to make lasagna for a man I was crazy about at the time. Now, I refer to him as the rebound man, but at the time, I thought he was going to save my life.

I was writing and selling ads for a local magazine earning a yearly salary of zero, in addition to writing plays for a local children’s theater that my son was involved in, consequently the company did well, but I didn’t.

Therefore, between working all the time, and rearing a child on my own, I barely had time to breath, let alone date, although I was determined to make the relationship work.

The man I was seeing had children but they were older than Taylor, and therefore not as active, and his ex- wife had custody, so Taylor joined us on most of our dates.

My new friend was nice enough about single parent things, but after we dated for a while, I felt bad about being busy all the time and never having a baby sister.

Therefore, one day in an effort to make him happy, I said, "Why don’t I fix you a meal this week-end, and then we’ll go see a movie, just the two of us?"

He smiled and said, "Oh no Ann, you don’t have to do that. I didn’t mind helping you with your car, I mean…"

At which point I thought to myself, please do not do it, mister. Please don’t treat me like I’m a damsel in distress, because I like you and you will ruin everything...please stop talking, dumb man, please stop-

Hence, before he could utter another word, a word with the potential to ruin a perfectly good evening, I turned to him and said one of the dumbest things I’ve said in my life, "Don’t you love lasagna?"

(I already knew lasagna was his favorite dish from one of our first dates or our "interview" date.)

"Yeah," he said, while shaking his forefinger up and down, and looking at me as if I was a mind reader.

"As a matter of fact I love lasagna," he said, scratching his head, and wondering how I could have known something private about him.

In fact, when I look back on it he was probably worried I had asked someone questions about him, and was about to get antsy; or he may have been beginning to think I wanted to marry him or something, the narcissist.


I was getting frustrated by the whole single mother dating scene; I felt like I may as well start looking into retirement homes for singles because there was no way I could split myself into...meaning I couldn’t be at home with my child and out on date at the same time.

Moreover "Split myself into" is one of the remarks I said under my breath in the grocery store with Taylor, who was seven at the time when we went to get supplies for the lasagna, which by the way, I hadn’t a clue how to bake.


I didn’t mind making my new friend his favorite dish, in fact that was the point, I wanted to do something nice for him, I just didn’t have any where near the amount of money I needed to make lasagna. I was so young I barely knew how to cook...

I remember turning the exhaust on over the stove before making pancakes for my husband and Taylor years before..

Then after our divorce every time I began to make pancakes, Taylor stopped me and said, "Wait, wait a minute Momma," before he climbed on the stove to turn the exhaust on himself, poor child.

Anyway, getting back to Taylor and I shopping for the lasagna ingredients and me rambling under my breath; (if I ever learned anything from parenting, is was if you think your children are not listening or watching what you are doing at all times, think again.)

Moving on, I was so upset when I reread the list of ingredients I got out of the package of a tomato soup can, I panicked and said to myself, "If I could just disappear, I just want to fly away, and never return. A single pan of lasagna is going to cost me at least a weeks worth of groceries and all I have is enough money to buy groceries for a week."

When I realized the predicament I was in, I lost my composure and started talking aloud to myself holding my son’s hand as he walked beside me in silence.

"There just isn't any way I can afford to make this lasagna, there just isn't, gosh what is wrong with men? If I could afford to make lasagna, I would have been able to hire a team of cooks, a housekeeper, and a mechanic. Actually, for that matter, why not just take a year off and go to the Bahamas or better yet, I can write a novel and put Taylor in an excellent private school."

Oh, but wait I need to make his lasagna first...we have to do that, that is, after I write three ads for a run down pancake house that probably won’t pay me a penny..."

I went on like this until I felt Taylor squeezing my hand, then I heard him say,

"Momma I’ll help you make the lasagna, I know how to do it. I know you need a friend to go out with, and Daddy told me to help, I’ll make the lasagna.

My heart melted, I have never loved a person more, then I loved him at that moment.

I haven't a clue how we managed to get all of the ingredients (I probably spent all my money) but we did, and it didn’t end there.

Afterward, I realized I didn’t have a pan big enough to hold the amount of ingredients that I had on my list, because I doubled the recipe, thinking my date could take some home and we would have enough to eat for at a week, which by now, had become a necessity, at least for me.

Therefore, I went back to the store and bought a pan big enough and deep enough, (or at least I thought it was) to load it down with layer upon layer of every ingredient in lasagna. I was so proud of myself.

Then the time came for me to show Rebound man the kind of woman he just may be lucky enough to have by his side for a awhile.

Nevertheless, as soon as he knocked on the door the buzzer on the oven went off, so I had Taylor answer the door while I went to get my delicacy out of the oven. My friend said hello to Taylor and headed toward the kitchen as I headed toward the living room, but I didn’t make it out of the kitchen with the pan of lasagna.

When I pulled the pan from the oven door, the ingredients were too heavy for the pan to hold them, therefore as if in slow motion, the entire pan crumbled onto the kitchen floor….and into my lap.

It looked like someone took two dozen jars of everything in the grocery store and poured it on my lap. I sat in the pile of food crying uncontrollably, embarrassed that I had lost control the way I did, but I couldn’t stop the tears from rolling down my face. My date tried to come in the kitchen, and I could tell he wanted to laugh, but I threw my hand up to shield my face full of tomato sauce and tears.

In addition, Taylor intercepted, "Now, don’t you be mad at my mom because that was all the money she had for groceries this week."

My friends mouth dropped open and he started to say something, but Taylor went on, "There was no way she could afford this lasagna, and she wants to know what is wrong with men? When she found out how much this was going to cost she wanted to fly away and never come back...because if she had the money to buy lasagna she could afford to buy us a plane, and we could have a housekeeper, and a thousand ninja turtles, and even a brand new car..."

It was so funny, I lost my composure again, but in a good way...Finally, I stopped him and hugged him back and forth, reminding him that I didn’t say anything about Ninja Turtles or planes...

Then, the three of us sat in the slop and laughed…until it was too gross to anymore. Incidentally, we went out to eat… Moreover, the rebound man and I have been back and forth for years now...Taylor has not bought his plane yet, and I still cannot cook.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.
What a cute story and your son sounds just adorable! That's the thing with children, they always hear a lot more than you realize at the time :)

Nessa said...

it's cute when they're little like that and repeat everything.......not so cute when they're teenagers and still do it. I've learned to shut my mouth when it comes to my daughter lol, she doesn't even think before she starts to say things and more than once i've been left going " OMG, i didn't really say it like THAT did i?"

Very cute story, gotta love kiddo's

Anonymous said...

Lovely story - marvelous son...

Da Old Man said...

What a great story. You need to submit it to Reader's Digest or something. You may even get paid enough to make another tray of lasagna.

Sandee said...

Are you a klutz Annie? Bwahahahahaha. What a wonderfully well written story. I laughed out loud. I can so see you doing all these things.

Have a terrific day honey. Big hug. :)

Sandee said...

You son rocks too. :)

The Muse said...

Answer ...Y~E~S !!!! I do love it,

as do I love your post today!

Wendy said...

I love this story. What a sweet little man you have in your life! Isn't it nice to be so loved??

Unknown said...

awwwwwwwwww That story made me laugh AND gave me goosebumps.

You described your predicament so well I can actually picture my version of you covered in lasagna

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Kasey, You're so right, and not only that, they're little biofeedback machines.

Thanks for reading~

Sorry for the delay with my comment.

Have a great day~

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Oh Nessa, I know what you mean, the older they can the scarier it gets as far imitating us. I laughed when I read what you said about not really sounding like "THAT" and trust me you don't.

Mine does the same thing- still~ :))

Thank you for the comment~

Have a great day~

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Gracie~ :))

Have a fantastic day.

{{{Hugs}}

I know I haven't been by to visit much lately except to drop on you, and I thank you for purchasing an Entrecard ad. I'm just busy trying to catch up...But, I still think you're the greatest.

Hugs again,

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Da Old Man, Thank you~ You know when I read your comment it made my day. And you have a great point, I might be able to afford the ingredients for lasagna...and you never know maybe I could also hire a cook. (Smile)

You're post had me in stitches yesterday. I'm a day late with my comments. Anyway thank you for giving me such a nice compliment I'll ride on it for weeks~

Glad you stopped by.

Have a great day~ :))

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Sandee, laughing...Yep, you've got me pegged. I'm a terrible klutz, it's just awful.

It makes me happy when you write "Bwahahahahaha." That's when I know you really like what you read, and thank you for saying it was wonderfully written.


I worked real hard on it, so your compliment means a lot to me, especially coming from you.


And I 'm glad I made you laugh out loud. That's what it's all about, and again thank you for saying it out loud.

So many people don't think about doing that, and like I said. it really makes a difference.

I really did do all of the things you saw me doing too...the poor man didn't know what to do. (Laughing)

I hope you have a terrific day, my friend, because you sure have made my morning special.

And yes, my son does rock, doesn't he? (Smile) He has turned into a really nice person as well.

Which is all I ever expected him- -that is to be kind- It's my favorite characteristic in people, and the one I value the most.

You have it~ :))

Have a great day my friend, and Big hug back to you too~

Annie

P.S. Thank you for purchasing an Entrecard ad on ANPITS.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

The Muse, Yes, I also love it, the only problem is I still cannot bake it.

And thank you, thank you, and thank you for the compliment on my post.

If you've been reading my responses you know how grateful and excited I get when I'm given a compliment.

Thanks for contributing to my smile~

Have a great day~

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Wendy, I'm thrilled that you loved my story, and thanks for the kind insight into my nice young man's character.

You're very insightful (Smile)

Yes, and love is the nicest of things...

Have a fantastic day~

Cheers~

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

dizzblnd, I was trying to accomplish both~ So I'm overjoyed that you laughed and got goosebumps.

It was the biggest grossiest mess I think I've ever seen in my live, before or since, dizzblnd.

I'm not kidding...I felt like I had been beaten by a bowl of lasagna...It was my last straw, but somehow I made it. :))

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day~

Annie

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

That is a terrific story on so many levels. Thanks for sharing it...

A said...

Oh, I love this story... :D you made my day today... :D

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Thank you Bud, you're terrific. I hope you have a nice weekend.

Hugs:))

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Ane, Thank you, you made my day too~

And thank you for following me on A Nice Place In The Sun.

I really enjoyed reading 'Life According to me' and am following you as well.

I'm glad you liked my story~ Have a great weekend~

Annie

Anonymous said...

Annie, what a sweet and adorable story. I have missed you so much honey. I just loved the image of my cheese and sauce covered Annie.

I am finally in Florida and so happy to be here. You won't get rid of me again...loves and big fat hugs....maunie

Dawn Drover said...

That was too funny Ann!
I can see you sitting in tomato sauce! Cooking is for the birds!
xoxo

Click to subscribe!

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books
Click on the titles below for the link to Publishers Weekly.com

The Boogeyman From Planet-Lackawanna-

You will lose yourself in the imaginative dreams of eleven year old Theodore Wilson's. Don't miss this review coming soon.

More reviews and available for purchase on Amazon .com. Just click on image of book and the link will take you there.

Thank you!

Upcoming Book Review

Upcoming Book Review
Gretchen Zufall (Author) Mike Paar (Illustrator)

Motherhood- Courage


Motherhood is an art impossible to explain, one which requires a vast sea of love, devotion, compassion, and understanding, unmatched by any affection we will ever know again.- Ann Clemmons

Courage-

Courage



Humor-

Humor


Words-

Words are the core of our souls, without written, vocal or lyrical expression we lose sight of one another or worse, ourselves. Words bring forth the essence of the human spirit; so express yourself without abandon.

Ann Clemmons

Favorite Phrase

I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...

Beatrix Potter’s Journal, 17 November 1896, from the National Trust collection.

Jacket Flap-

Powered by JacketFlap.com
The Storyteller, by Dawn Drover

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~

Of The Horoscope Junkie




Let"s talk!

Let"s talk!

Subscribe Today

Subscribe Today
Feed Powered by Feedburner

Catch your dreams

Catch your dreams

Imagine

Imagine
Most of the worlds' great things were born of adversity and hardship; because these roadblocks encourage us to dream, imagine and believe.- Ann Clemmons

Favorite quotes-

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”'


F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Lines from The Great Gatsby)
"A Southerner Talks Music"

Mark Twain

"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us."

Franz Kafka

An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.

- Mark Twain in Eruption

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself"

Mark Twain

Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site

Friendship