6/11/08

What Is The Weirdest Situation You've Ever Been In / Or Strangest Place You've Ever Visited?


What is the weirdest situation you've ever been in or strangest place you've ever visited?

I have Four bloggers comments posted:


Hello, and welcome to another Tuesday's Question, although I know it's Wednesday- I apologize for yesterdays inconvenience, and I hope you're back today. I usually work on my novel in the morning, and post Tuesday's Question later, that is, after I've racked my brain a few hours. Although, since I missed yesterday, (due to the calf) I'm writing on my blog in the morning, and you know I feel a little out of sorts, but it's a nice feeling of displacement, like I've just rearranged the furniture or something.

Which brings me to the topic of this Tuesday's Question, which is, What Is The Weirdest Situation You've Ever Been In Or Strangest Place You've Ever Visited?

Because the question suggests feeling out of sorts. Although it's the kind of "out of sorts" or unfamiliarity you feel when you're in a weird situation or in a strange place. The "This is weird and I don't know what to do" kind of feeling, that suddenly makes you wish you had a compass or had paid attention in Indian Guides, but it's too late. Yep, it's just you and the weirdness, knowing you will laugh about it later, but that nothing can help you in the meantime...


Here's the weirdest situation I've ever been in, although I've also witnessed some strange places, but this is by far the weirdest predicament:

It's a situation I found myself in with my maternal grandmother years ago...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My story begins with my grandmother sitting on her front porch and my brother and I walking toward the house. My grandmother is the first who speaks.




"Ann! Is that you I hear? Or Stuart?"

"Tell her it's you" my brother whispered, as we made our way up the steps and through the door to her porch.

"I heard you Stuart" my grandmother said from her favorite chair on the front porch.

"Oh, hey Nana, we thought-"

"I was inside" my grandmother said finishing his sentence."

"What's this "we" I interjected.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Ann"

"Yes you do, you told Nana that "we" thought she was inside, when I was smiling at her. Isn't that right Nana?" I laughed. My grandmother Nana smiled back at me.

"Yep, whatever you say Ann. I thought your back was bothering you?"

"It is. Mainly, when I pick Taylor up, but it's o.k.," I said, as my brother walked past us to bring my grandmothers groceries inside.


"Well, that baby is getting too big for you to lug around all day. But, I think I found a solution. I ordered a back massager from a magazine at the beauty parlor the other day and it just came in the mail. I think it will do wonders for your back, come and see." My grandmother said as she crossed the front porch to go inside the house.

I dutifully followed her, playfully hitting my brother as he passed my grandmother and I in the living room, before going to sit on the front porch.

"Come on honey and follow me" she said, so I followed her into her bedroom.




When I saw my grandmothers "massager" I think I swallowed my tongue and I know my face was turning different shades of purple, but she didn't notice, she was too excited about her accomplishment. And I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was a massager alright, but not for backs....

Then, she said as she was taking the wrapping off, "Let's go into the living room and I'll massage your back on the couch."


O.K. I had recovered my tongue the first time, but this time I believed I swallowed it forever, or bit it because it was too thick for me to talk. I could see my brother walking back and forth on the porch, so I tried to get his attention, but it seemed impossible. Although, because it was summertime, the windows and drapes were open, so I keep talking out loud, saying things like, "Nana, are you sure this massager is used for backs? I mean, isn't it shaped kind of funny? I've never seen a massager shaped like this, I mean it looks, well, it looks like a banana."

That's when I knew my brother was ease dropping because he started laughing after he heard my description of the novelty my grandmother picked up from a magazine. And unfortunately, she didn't see the correlation between my hesitation to have a back massage and my brothers hilarity.

"Oh for Pete's Sake, just sit down Ann, it's not going to hurt. For crying out loud, I was thinking of you, and you aren't the slightest bit grateful, just sit still"

(More laughter from my brother)


So there I sat, tied to a stake, and listening to the hum of the motor as my grandmother manipulated the massager across my back. But, at least I had the added benefit of my brother's laughter from the front porch to entertain me. He kept pretending he was on the phone, and of course my grandmother was too busy playing Chiropractor to notice.

She keep asking me, "Now, how does it feel? Does it feel better here or here?" at which point my brother would burst into hysterics, because I could see him, and she couldn't.

I can still see his head bobbing up and down behind the window from bending over in laughter. This made it more difficult for me not to laugh, although at the same time I felt bad for her, so I never told her the truth about her beloved discovery.

My family hid the massager from her because she would bring it out to show people from time to time. The last time I saw it she was showing it to a home health nurse who helped me hide it again.

My grandmother was a bright intellect woman all her life, even when she got older. She was a retired social worker, who managed three acres and reared two children on her own. She just didn't know that kind of massager existed, and if she did, she wouldn't have expected to see it advertised in a magazine. In addition, telling her was not an option. My grandmother was a proper southern lady with nothing but dignity and guts, therefore we kept her secret safe within our southern haven- until now- So shhh... In any event, it was the weirdest thing that ever happened to me.

The things we do for family.


Now it is your turn ladies and gents, What Is The Weirdest Situation You've Ever Been In Or Strangest Place You've Ever Visited?


Remember, I will post your comments throughout the day and into the evening. I have to go and wrestle the calf that keeps pestering me into a stall where he belongs and I have a doctors appt. today. But I will leave my comments unmoderated, and will read and posts your comments as soon as I return. All of you mean a lot to me, and I love reading what you write each week. (you know who you are) Please excuse my absence yesterday and being in and out so much today. I appreciate your patience.


If you participated in Tuesday's Question today, or at any other time, please feel free to grab the code for Tuesday's Question button on your way out (it's on my sidebar)~ And thanks a million to those of you who have posted the brag badge already. I know who you are and you're the greatest... :))



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first commenter is from a dear friend and skilled professional at Tuesday's Question is Sandee from Comedy Plus.

Okay, I've had a very boring life because nothing, absolutely nothing comes to mind. Just nothing. I did love your story though. Now that is rich. Have a great day Ann. Big hug and lotsa lovies. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my next comment came from another dear friend and skilled professional, Dawn at Twisted Sister.

LOL... no way can I beat that story!
Your poor grandmother!
I guess the strangest place I ever visited was my first time at my grandmother's house.
I was a city kid and had never seen anything like it... it was very old fashioned with a wood stove and even had an outhouse out back. There was a daybed in the kitchen and a rocking chair. My grandmother would sit next to the stove rocking and knitting. It wouldn't seem strange to me now, but I was 11 years old the first time I saw it... and I thought it was pretty weird!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My next commenter is, yes, another good friend and hilarious commenter Bud from WTIT Tape Radio

I think my visit to "The Desert of Maine" was the strangest place. An old guy gave the tour of a sand drop and stated, "If you got as much rain in the Sahara as we get here there'd be no desert. So this is the world's only true desert." It was so weird...

June 11, 2008 2:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fourth commenter is also a good friend and fellow blogger Maunie from Mauniejames3 and The Blue Ribbon Bloggers

When I was a senior in high school I had a boyfriend named "Joe"..he was my very first real boyfriend and was in college..at Christmas time we spent some of Christmas Eve at my parents and then went to Joe's..His family invited his old girlfriend because she was "part of the family" I was horrified.. they hardly spoke to me and treated her as if she really was family..it was my first encounter with deliberate cruelty...it took me a long time to get over the fact that not everyone liked me..not surprising when I broke up with him he was not at all shocked.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please be sure and visit these bloggers posts, they are terrific and funny, and I promise you will not regret it~ :))

11 comments:

Sandee said...

Okay, I've had a very boring life because nothing, absolutely nothing comes to mind. Just nothing. I did love your story though. Now that is rich. Have a great day Ann. Big hug and lotsa lovies. :)

Dawn Drover said...

LOL... no way can I beat that story!
Your poor grandmother!
I guess the strangest place I ever visited was my first time at my grandmother's house.
I was a city kid and had never seen anything like it... it was very old fashioned with a wood stove and even had an outhouse out back. There was a daybed in the kitchen and a rocking chair. My grandmother would sit next to the stove rocking and knitting. It wouldn't seem strange to me now, but I was 11 years old the first time I saw it... and I thought it was pretty weird!

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Sandee, (LOL) That's O.K. this was a hard one. Maybe something will come to you later. I appreciate you stopping by on every single Tuesday or Wednesday to answer Tuesday's Question. You're a doll and a very good friend, and Dawn and I love how you say, "Big Hug and lotsa lovies"
:) So, back to you my friend~

Love, Ann

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Dawn, (LOL) I don't think anyone can't beat that story. We still laugh about it today. The funniest part though was seeing my brother through the drapes laughing. (LOL) I know I would have gotten through it much easier if he hadn't been there. I was completely mortified, as you can probably imagine. (smile)

I can see how your grandmothers house felt strange to you. It's as if you went back in time, and that would make a child feel funny, especially if it was unexpected.

You knew you there wasn't anything reason to be frightened, but your instincts were telling you that things weren't as they should be.

Great answer, I can see and feel myself there. Especially when you wrote about the daybed in the kitchen, the wood stove, and the out house out back.

And you're right, you probably would think it was cool today. It sounds like the houses behind some plantations here. Behind the "Big house." I think they were the houses of workers who weren't slaves, the slave quarters are much smaller and lined in a row, it's creepy. But, I still love to visit plantations.

You write so well. I admire how you can tell a whole story in a paragraph.

I'm going to post you and miss "lotsa lovies" posts right now.

Thank you Dawn. Huge hug and lotsa lovies. :))

Ann

P.S. I loved your comment yesterday. It made my day. :))))

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Sandee, (LOL) That's O.K. this was a hard one. Maybe something will come to you later. I appreciate you stopping by on every single Tuesday or Wednesday to answer Tuesday's Question. You're a doll and a very good friend, and Dawn and I love how you say, "Big Hug and lotsa lovies"
:) So, back to you my friend~

Love, Ann

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I think my visit to "The Desert of Maine" was the strangest place. An old guy gave the tour of a sand drop and stated, "If you got as much rain in the Sahara as we get here there'd be no desert. So this is the world's only true desert." It was so weird...

Anonymous said...

When I was a senior in high school I had a boyfriend named "Joe"..he was my very first real boyfriend and was in college..at Christmas time we spent some of Christmas Eve at my parents and then went to Joe's..His family invited his old girlfriend because she was "part of the family" I was horrified.. they hardly spoke to me and treated her as if she really was family..it was my first encounter with deliberate cruelity...it took me a long time to get over the fact that not everyone liked me..not surprising when I broke up with him he was not at all shocked.

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Bud, (LOL) that is weird. Plus, what on earth was he talking about? It doesn't make sense, unless of course I'm too dense to get it. (Smile)

What is a sand drop anyway? O.k. I don't need to know...laughing.

But you're right, it sounds weird. Thanks for a great comment, as usual.

Have a great evening.

Oh, and by the way I've heard about your crime sprees, but don't worry I'll zip it~ I can't stand a tattle tell. :))

Cheers~

Ann

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Maunie, I can't believe that happened to you, I've been in similar situations and it's not at all fun.

Bless your heart, and I know you were the better catch...so it was definitely his lost. I'm glad you dumped him. That was really a ruin thing to do, not only on his part but his families. The whole family sounds like they had the sensitivity of a tire. (LOL)

I don't know why I said tire that's just what came out. laughing.

Anyway, good riddance, and good-bye Joe~ Golly, that really made me mad didn't it? You must of hit a nerve somewhere, either that or I'm over sensitive.

In any case maybe Joe found a volcano to go live in. You think?

Love ya Maunie, and thanks for answering another Tuesday's Question.

Ann

Anonymous said...

I had it when I had three accidents in a day! That was a real bad day for my health!
First a bike, then a car and then a dog! All resulted in me bruising myself.

Anonymous said...

For me, it was when I realized that I could not study any longer.

Click to subscribe!

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books
Click on the titles below for the link to Publishers Weekly.com

The Boogeyman From Planet-Lackawanna-

You will lose yourself in the imaginative dreams of eleven year old Theodore Wilson's. Don't miss this review coming soon.

More reviews and available for purchase on Amazon .com. Just click on image of book and the link will take you there.

Thank you!

Upcoming Book Review

Upcoming Book Review
Gretchen Zufall (Author) Mike Paar (Illustrator)

Motherhood- Courage


Motherhood is an art impossible to explain, one which requires a vast sea of love, devotion, compassion, and understanding, unmatched by any affection we will ever know again.- Ann Clemmons

Courage-

Courage



Humor-

Humor


Words-

Words are the core of our souls, without written, vocal or lyrical expression we lose sight of one another or worse, ourselves. Words bring forth the essence of the human spirit; so express yourself without abandon.

Ann Clemmons

Favorite Phrase

I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...

Beatrix Potter’s Journal, 17 November 1896, from the National Trust collection.

Jacket Flap-

Powered by JacketFlap.com
The Storyteller, by Dawn Drover

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~

Of The Horoscope Junkie




Let"s talk!

Let"s talk!

Subscribe Today

Subscribe Today
Feed Powered by Feedburner

Catch your dreams

Catch your dreams

Imagine

Imagine
Most of the worlds' great things were born of adversity and hardship; because these roadblocks encourage us to dream, imagine and believe.- Ann Clemmons

Favorite quotes-

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”'


F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Lines from The Great Gatsby)
"A Southerner Talks Music"

Mark Twain

"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us."

Franz Kafka

An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.

- Mark Twain in Eruption

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself"

Mark Twain

Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site

Friendship