6/24/08

Are We Born To Fulfill A Destiny? Readers Comments in Post-



Readers/Bloggers comments are posted after the main post with a link to their blogs~

This group of Tuesday's Question Participates had some interesting opinions about whether we're born to fulfill a destiny. What do you think?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hello, and welcome to the 38th Tuesday's Question posted on A Nice Place In The Sun. All participates answers will be posted today in this very post along with a link to their site, but you don't have to own a blog to participate. All you have to do is write your answer in comments and I will do the rest~

All participates are welcome to a Tuesday's Question Brag Badge posted with a code in the sidebar. The Brag Badge gives you the opportunity to bring your visitors to archived Tuesday's Questions where you can show off your ingenuity in past comments

Whether you are participating or reading I thank you for stopping by for a visit. Answers will be posted as quickly as possible throughout the day with a link to the bloggers who commented, therefore, don't forget to visit the participating bloggers blogs. Chances are if you liked their comments you will like their blogs. Have Fun, and remember Tuesday's Question is a weekly post of original questions, well, questions off the top of my head anyway. ~
My answer: When I was in the first grade I remember staring at the word author in a book we were reading. I don't know how to explain how I knew, but I knew I would write books or be a writer some day.

I remember it like it was yesterday, because I didn't want to write books; I wanted to be a veterinarian.


I've heard others say the same thing about their professions. An old friend of mine used to say she knew she would be a doctor. We've known each other since childhood, and all she did was talk about becoming a physician, the opposite of me, who avoided a scholarship to study English Literature at L.S.U.

Anyway over the years, my friend and I took many twists and turns that were taking us down an altogether different highway. I never dreamed that she would make it through medical school, or that I would live to write about anything. But she did become a doctor and I continued to turn down the wrong roads for awhile, until something miraculous happened- I grew up- and turned down the highway that brought me back to my passion- writing.

I took many chances and made some major mistakes that kept me away from writing for a long time. Although, I always wrote something down on paper, I didn't understand that what I was doing meant something deeper. And I didn't appreciate the gift I'd been given or what it meant... I had short stories, magazine articles, poems etc, stashed away in dusty piles in my mother antic-

In closing, I believe we are born with a destiny and as time marches on we either bump into it by accident, friendship, or opportunity.

It is up to us to keep our eyes open for the signs that help us make the right choices. Because fulfilling a destiny is what many call the road less traveled- if you're following the road your authentic self should be traveling, it will be a challenging, if not rewarding experience. However, if it's easy and comfortable, something is wrong with the road you're on - and you need to turn around~

Now, it's your turn: Is it determined before we are born what we will contribute to the world, or is it left up to chance?

My first comment is from my dear friend Dawn at Twisted Sister


"I don't know how to explain how I knew, but I knew I would write books or be a writer some day."

These kind of statements have always fascinated me because I have never felt that in my life. I often wonder why some people know what their calling is while others of us have no clue.
I missed the boat on this one Ann! If I'm here to fulfill some kind of destiny then I wish someone would let me in on the secret :D
I think this is one of your best questions so far... I only wish I could have answered it!

June 24, 2008 4:49 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, another great friend Ferd from The Best Parts
gave a very well-written and articulate response:

I don't believe there is a pre planned destiny. But I know that each of us is blessed with a set of skills and talents, and cursed with a set of character defects. None of us are perfect. And then there are the factors of the family and socioeconomic conditions into which we are born, providing us with nurturing and opportunities or lack thereof. What we do with our lives comes out of all this.

As we develop as people, and come into our own, we do stuff. This stuff we do affects other people, in good ways and in bad. We do have a lot of choice in that matter. The facts and consequences of these actions become our "destiny."

I do hope that wasn't just a bunch of BS. I read it over and it sounds a little weird. I almost deleted it, but here goes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then, Dawn remembered that she did look for her destiny once:

Ann,
I often thought I must have hidden talents and I just need to find them... but I didn't have a map!
You're not the only one who wasn't born to perform brain surgery.LOL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, my other dear friend Sandee at Comedy Plus gave us her opinion and another well-written perspective:

I think I was destined to have each different position that I had through the years and would grow to the end of that and realize that there was more that I could or needed to do.

When I was a waitress I thought that was the best job ever. Then I ran cocktails and that was even better. Then I was a bartender and I thought that would be my last job. Of course it wasn't, but you get the idea.

The last 25 of my working years I was truly doing what I was meant to do. So yes, I do think destiny plays a part in what you end up doing. There are many jobs, but when you find what you love destiny has shined on you. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next comment came in on Wednesday from Maunie at Spring Wonderful Spring


Ann, honey, I still don't have a clue...In girl scouts we had to write letters to various people for different reasons..my letters were always chosen but my penmanship was so bad someone else would have to copy it over for me...my leaders said I would be a great comedy writer some day...
yeah sure..
anyway I too have tried many different things but still haven't found what I'm looking for...I think I was made to work with children in some capacity but what do I know...as usual I am rambling..I hate that about me..hope this gives you some insight...laughing...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Maunie, you haven't just given me insight, you given me laughter~ Thank you~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Special thanks to all of you for letting me get to know you a little better each week~ In some special way, I truly care about each of you, and thank you for sharing a piece of who you are individually with me each week~

Cheers and see you next week, if not, before...wait a minute...I don't suppose I will see you...anyway you know what I mean~ Cheers, until we meet again~ Bye~ Annie

Anyone else who would like to still comment I will be happy to post your answers, and share some link love- Also if you answered a comment you are eligible for a Tuesday's Question brag badge displayed in my sidebar.

12 comments:

Dawn Drover said...

"I don't know how to explain how I knew, but I knew I would write books or be a writer some day."

These kind of statements have always fascinated me because I have never felt that in my life. I often wonder why some people know what their calling is while others of us have no clue.
I missed the boat on this one Ann! If I'm here to fulfill some kind of destiny then I wish someone would let me in on the secret :D
I think this is one of your best questions so far... I only wish I could have answered it!

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Dawn, I knew, but it took me years to come to the realization that writing could actually be a destiny. Unless, you turn out to be some famous writer or something, which I've obviously missed the boat on too.

In fact I thought back on that moment in the first grade this past year, after searching for sometime that I will tell you about later.

You are a mother, as am I so I think there can be more than one reason we are here- just think about it. However, this is just my opinion, some people believe you completely make your own destiny.

I believe we do both...that is, I believe we have an authentic self, or are born with certain talents (which you certainly were) but we make our own choices about how to use them or live our life, which in the end becomes our destiny.

Make sense? I just e-mailed you~ :))

Thanks for saying it was my best question, and you did comment~ :))

P.S. When I read the first part of your comment, I thought, oh she had the same feeling I did...until I saw the quotation marks. (LOL)

I definitely wasn't born to perform brain surgery.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe there is a pre planned destiny. But I know that each of us is blessed with a set of skills and talents, and cursed with a set of character defects. None of us are perfect. And then there are the factors of the family and socioeconomic conditions into which we are born, providing us with nurturing and opportunities or lack thereof. What we do with our lives comes out of all this.

As we develop as people, and come into our own, we do stuff. This stuff we do affects other people, in good ways and in bad. We do have a lot of choice in that matter. The facts and consequences of these actions become our "destiny."

I do hope that wasn't just a bunch of BS. I read it over and it sounds a little weird. I almost deleted it, but here goes.

Dawn Drover said...

Ann,
I often thought I must have hidden talents and I just need to find them... but I didn't have a map!
You're not the only one who wasn't born to perform brain surgery.LOL!

Sandee said...

I think I was destined to have each different position that I had through the years and would grow to the end of that and realize that there was more that I could or needed to do.

When I was a waitress I thought that was the best job ever. Then I ran cocktails and that was even better. Then I was a bartender and I thought that would be my last job. Of course it wasn't, but you get the idea.

The last 25 of my working years I was truly doing what I was meant to do. So yes, I do think destiny plays a part in what you end up doing. There are many jobs, but when you find what you love destiny has shined on you. :)

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Ferd, I'm glad you didn't delete your comment and I don't know why you think it sounded weird. You said the same thing I did, it was just more articulate. (Smile) You got my point across perfectly. :))

It's exactly wanted I wanted to say, but I think I've had writers rebellion lately or I'm tired or something, so I sincerely thank you. thanks~ :)

Plus, I want to tell you and anyone who may be reading this, I'm sorry I've been behind on comments lately.

For example, I didn't get the chance to tell you that you're right, I'm not as melodramatic as a Tennessee Williams character, but close. Although, I adore children and would never call a child a no-neck monster~ (LOL)

I'm more like a cross between Melanie and Scarlet than Tennessee's characters, but boy could he write them.

I might show a clip of A Streetcar Named Desire next week-end. Have you ever read the play, A Streetcar Named Desire? Talk about melodramatic. I just thought I'd bring that up because I remember laughing at your comment in my e-mail.

Thanks for both comments~

Well done as always, Ferd~ :))

Annie

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Dawn, (laughing) Well, if you're anything like me, what good would a map do you? Besides your talents aren't hidden.

Can you really see either one of us performing brain surgery?

Laughing~ :))

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Sandee, Excellent answer. Thanks for another well written as well as thought out point of view.

It sounds like you were a Jill of all trades there for awhile, as was I, and you're right each job served it's purpose at the time. But, when it's what you were meant to do, you know it~

Hugs~

Ann

mauniejames3 said...

Ann, honey, I still don't have a clue...In girl scouts we had to write letters to various people for different reasons..my letters were always chosen but my pennmanship was so bad someone else would have to copy it over for me...my leaders said I would be a great comedy writer some day...
yeah sure..
anyway I too have tried many different things but still haven't found what I'm looking for...I think I was made to work with children in some capacity but what do I know...as usual I am rambling..I hate that about me..hope this gives you some insight...laughing...

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Hey Maunie, Well, it sounds like one of your talents is writing.

And it also seems as though your handwriting is much like mine and my mothers- I call our handwriting chicken scratch. (lol)

Also, I had a teacher tell me one time that I was a good writer and I thought the same thing. (lol) Looked over my shoulder, so to speak, to see if perhaps she was talking to another student.

Besides, we have computers now, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Maybe, you ought to try writing children's books. If you love and identify with children (as you do) and you can write, you must, because you would be doing yourself, as well many kids a disservice if you didn't, or didn't at least try.

I think we have to continue to look and try different things in life and when it feels right it probably is...what I believe people do is also expect it to be easy so they quit before they've had time to foster a passion.


It's like watching a seed you've planted not produce any results for awhile, and then walking away before it sprouts from the ground.

I didn't mean to go on and on...I just meant to say I suspect you're a woman with much to give, laughter for one thing, and you ought to keep searching - (I love to laugh too)

I would rather live without food and water, than laughter~

Just sayin'

Hug and love ya Maunie~

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Maunie Oh yeah, and I'm posting your comment~ It is a great one~

Hugs~ Ann

Unknown said...

Oh man, How can I add to all the deep thoughts going around here. I don't believe in destiny per se. I think we learn through the hard knocks we get in and then we have to learn to roll with them or give in. I still don't know what my destiny is. I hope I have helped people along the way. I hope I have shared my wisdom to all the young people that come through my work. I hope I have set a good example to others. Ah poop.

Click to subscribe!

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books

Today's Popular Children's Picture Books
Click on the titles below for the link to Publishers Weekly.com

The Boogeyman From Planet-Lackawanna-

You will lose yourself in the imaginative dreams of eleven year old Theodore Wilson's. Don't miss this review coming soon.

More reviews and available for purchase on Amazon .com. Just click on image of book and the link will take you there.

Thank you!

Upcoming Book Review

Upcoming Book Review
Gretchen Zufall (Author) Mike Paar (Illustrator)

Motherhood- Courage


Motherhood is an art impossible to explain, one which requires a vast sea of love, devotion, compassion, and understanding, unmatched by any affection we will ever know again.- Ann Clemmons

Courage-

Courage



Humor-

Humor


Words-

Words are the core of our souls, without written, vocal or lyrical expression we lose sight of one another or worse, ourselves. Words bring forth the essence of the human spirit; so express yourself without abandon.

Ann Clemmons

Favorite Phrase

I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...

Beatrix Potter’s Journal, 17 November 1896, from the National Trust collection.

Jacket Flap-

Powered by JacketFlap.com
The Storyteller, by Dawn Drover

Alone in her world
of make believe
weaving her stories
of magic and light

She brings joy
to the eyes
of innocent minds
less jaded and free

For only they know
what's in her heart
holding the secrets
she guards so well

Life's hidden mysteries
belong to those
whose wisdom and truth
shine on in imagination


Written for Ann
~Dawn Drover~

Of The Horoscope Junkie




Let"s talk!

Let"s talk!

Subscribe Today

Subscribe Today
Feed Powered by Feedburner

Catch your dreams

Catch your dreams

Imagine

Imagine
Most of the worlds' great things were born of adversity and hardship; because these roadblocks encourage us to dream, imagine and believe.- Ann Clemmons

Favorite quotes-

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”'


F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Lines from The Great Gatsby)
"A Southerner Talks Music"

Mark Twain

"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us."

Franz Kafka

An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.

- Mark Twain in Eruption

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself"

Mark Twain

Animal Rescue Site

The Animal Rescue Site

Friendship